Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105535 - 09/14/17 07:43 PM Google sued by women
Zin Online   waaaht-icon
Sir Sheldon
****

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 4107
Loc: Iowa
Google sued by women for pay discrimination in potential class action suit
Given how they handled the firing of that guy who had the gull to go against the grain...

They deserve this *if there is legit reason why they are payed less.*

Top
#105536 - 09/18/17 01:17 PM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Zin]
Aran Offline
Aryan Dreamboat
**

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 4150
Looks rather baseless to me, sadly. I'd like to see Google kicked in the dick but it looks like a case of "We want more money for lesser tier jobs because men in higher tier jobs make more"

Top
#105537 - 09/18/17 08:25 PM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Aran]
Zin Online   waaaht-icon
Sir Sheldon
****

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 4107
Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Aran
Looks rather baseless to me, sadly. I'd like to see Google kicked in the dick but it looks like a case of "We want more money for lesser tier jobs because men in higher tier jobs make more"

Doesn't matter if it is baseless or not. It's public opinion. Obviously. If it wasn't that way for Google they never would have fired old boy for the memo.

Top
#105538 - 10/07/17 02:26 PM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Zin]
Wolfe4086 Offline
Slayer of Goth Booty
***

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 3286
Loc: A Bunker near you
The biggest piece of stupidity in these alleged men make more than women is the fact that people don't realize you negotiate your salary coming in. It is not like every guy that starts gets $15 an hour and women get $14.
_________________________
“We have been God-like in our planned breeding of our domesticated plants and animals, but we have been rabbit-like in our unplanned breeding of ourselves.” Arnold J Toynbee

Top
#105540 - 10/08/17 12:05 PM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Wolfe4086]
Zin Online   waaaht-icon
Sir Sheldon
****

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 4107
Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Wolfe4086
The biggest piece of stupidity in these alleged men make more than women is the fact that people don't realize you negotiate your salary coming in. It is not like every guy that starts gets $15 an hour and women get $14.

It's actually more about days off and overtime than it is the straight wage. but... Yeah. Whatever.

Top
#105592 - 03/20/18 01:47 AM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Wolfe4086]
Jango Offline
Pooh-Bah

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 1641
Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Wolfe4086
The biggest piece of stupidity in these alleged men make more than women is the fact that people don't realize you negotiate your salary coming in. It is not like every guy that starts gets $15 an hour and women get $14.

There was something on Cracked today about women making up 65% of nursing jobs or something, men the other 35%, yet the men made marginally more than the women did when surveyed?

I don't know...I wonder if at least some of its about the squeaky wheel getting the grease, and guys being a little more on the assertive side, in general.
I mean, in a perfect world you'd have an employer who was fair across the board, but...pay is very much on an individual basis, employers will often try to get away with paying as little as they can...and at risk of sounding whatever, women are a little more passive in general. Men might be better at being like, "Sup Jimmy boy! Hey man, can you ask Doug about that raise for me? I told you about the truck breaking down...she needs a new jimmer thingy with a gobhopper deuce crackerbarrel overhaul you bet your ass"

Of course, there's also the whole thing about assertive women being seen as a bunch of pushy bitches, but then again...why they gotta be such pushy bitches? Keep quiet, be nice...you'll get yours. Except you won't...because you're screwed either way and come to think of it, its pretty goddamn great to be a man.

Top
#105601 - 03/25/18 09:23 PM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Jango]
Zin Online   waaaht-icon
Sir Sheldon
****

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 4107
Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Jango
Originally Posted By: Wolfe4086
The biggest piece of stupidity in these alleged men make more than women is the fact that people don't realize you negotiate your salary coming in. It is not like every guy that starts gets $15 an hour and women get $14.

There was something on Cracked today about women making up 65% of nursing jobs or something, men the other 35%, yet the men made marginally more than the women did when surveyed?

More per hour or more because they worked more hours? First question to always ask and look for within the material that suggests it's off.

Top
#105611 - 03/26/18 09:09 AM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Zin]
Jango Offline
Pooh-Bah

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 1641
Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
More per hour or more because they worked more hours? First question to always ask and look for within the material that suggests it's off.

WOW, good call. I just checked and yup, you're still a condescending dick Lol

Hey Zin, Just heard the other day that the grass IS, in fact, greener on the other side.
You: K first thing I'ma hafta ask you, did you get this information from someone who has a clear and vested interest in THIS side's grass? Because that's called a 'conflict of in- no? Well what about a toddler...maybe with a little frontal lobe damage, k, how about a rabbit? Rabbits don't know shit...

One more lol

Hey Zin, I read that trees grow tallest in California.
You: K, first thing you're gonna wanna do is make sure that the trees growing on top of hills are NOT being measured from the bottom of the hill. Needs to be your very first question. That's where they getcha.

And okay, I skimmed the article so was off a little, its 90% women, not 65%. And yeah looking it up, it was a study done by UCSF and published as a research paper in JAMA, so its a good bet they likely accounted for that variable.
Quick question...do you often see stuff with that kind of glaring stupidity in it? Or such overt misdirection? Genuine question...because that's creepy stuff lol

Anyway, women make up 90% of the field and make an average of 5k less. Which you have to admit is a little weird...seems a pretty clear indication of a general discrepancy in pay between men and women in the US.

If you put 10 nurses in a room, they're all eyeballing the man who makes more than they do and who, in all probability, hasn't been there as long as at LEAST half of them (likely most of them).

Click

Quote:
The average 2013 salary for male nurses was about $70,000, versus about $60,000 for women. Taking into account factors that influence salary including geographic location, nursing specialty and years of experience trimmed that $10,000 pay gap by about half.

Top
#105612 - 03/26/18 10:43 PM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Jango]
Zin Online   waaaht-icon
Sir Sheldon
****

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 4107
Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Jango
Quote:
More per hour or more because they worked more hours? First question to always ask and look for within the material that suggests it's off.

WOW, good call. I just checked and yup, you're still a condescending dick Lol

Opinions still vary.

Quote:
Hey Zin, Just heard the other day that the grass IS, in fact, greener on the other side.
You: K first thing I'ma hafta ask you, did you get this information from someone who has a clear and vested interest in THIS side's grass? Because that's called a 'conflict of in- no? Well what about a toddler...maybe with a little frontal lobe damage, k, how about a rabbit? Rabbits don't know shit...

Simple question. Should be a simple answer. I bet you can't find that answer though.

Quote:
And okay, I skimmed the article so was off a little, its 90% women, not 65%. And yeah looking it up, it was a study done by UCSF and published as a research paper in JAMA, so its a good bet they likely accounted for that variable.

No... they didn't.

Quote:
Quick question...do you often see stuff with that kind of glaring stupidity in it? Or such overt misdirection? Genuine question...because that's creepy stuff lol

Yes. Because most people don't bother to look. Your own article didn't do it. Right?

Quote:
Anyway, women make up 90% of the field and make an average of 5k less. Which you have to admit is a little weird...seems a pretty clear indication of a general discrepancy in pay between men and women in the US.

If you put 10 nurses in a room, they're all eyeballing the man who makes more than they do and who, in all probability, hasn't been there as long as at LEAST half of them (likely most of them).

Click

Quote:
The average 2013 salary for male nurses was about $70,000, versus about $60,000 for women. Taking into account factors that influence salary including geographic location, nursing specialty and years of experience trimmed that $10,000 pay gap by about half.

So I repeat the question. Did the men work more hours or were they paid more per hour?

Notice they use per year factors... Not actual per hour wages. They certainly won't mention overtime.

Just because I know you didn't do the math yourself... 5k more a year equals $2.40 more per hour.

Given that Nursing is a woman dominated field it would be morbidly crazy for anyone to hire a man for 2.40 more an hour when obviously a woman who you can pay less can do it just as well or better.

Top
#105615 - 03/27/18 06:03 AM Re: Google sued by women [Re: Zin]
Jango Offline
Pooh-Bah

Registered: 05/25/10
Posts: 1641
Loc: Seattle, WA
Alright, let's say you take a man and a woman, put them side by side and then try to guess which one of them has worked more hours in their nursing field. You'd have about a 50/50 chance of guessing right, right?
Now add a woman. K, now what are the odds that the man has worked more hours then the other two. Add another, how are those odds looking now?

And you're trying to tell me that, wait...we can't trust this study because it doesn't specifically state that they accounted for hours worked (although it lists all sorts of stuff before stating, "among other things"). So let's just say that they didn't. Even so...the odds of 10% of the workforce working more than the other 90%...that's a very specific parameter, but let's just say there's a ten percent chance. Cut that in half for the 50/50 odds the study didn't account for it...or don't, but either way you seem to be less critical thinker on this and more...obtuse to the point of seeming delusional.


In a field dominated by 90% women, probability states they're much more likely to have more experience, work more hours,more tenure, have better bedside manners, are more likely to EVERYTHING.
Its just math...and its why this is such a succinct highlighting of an imbalance between the sexes. Yet funnily enough, your stubborn conjecture here seems based off whatever its opposite is...faith in the improbable, I guess...and here I was thinking you were a numbers guy all this time.

Quote:
Just because I know you didn't do the math yourself... 5k more a year equals $2.40 more per hour.

Well thanks for handling that. But $2.40 an hour or ten cents, its not the point, I don't see how it makes any real difference.

The information is what it is. Considering your take on it, your not being able to establish a credible scenario for causality is likely tied to the level of sincerity in your "search" for one.

Really, aren't you Mr. variable himself, as detailed in your response to this study here? Yet, you can't come up with anything outside of the hiring scenario you presented to account for pay discrepancies? Pretty linear thinking for you all of a sudden, isn't that?

Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >


Who's Online
1 registered (Zin), 32 Zombies and 0 Big Icky Spiders that are going to bite Viv online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod, Specuuul
Moderator:  Dani, Thor, Trillian, vivian 
Recent OT Topics
DHS “Media Monitoring Services” to Compile Database of Journalists
by Zin
04/09/18 10:21 PM
TED
by Zin
04/05/18 10:45 PM
I hate the
by Aran
03/27/18 10:37 PM
Quick question about racism I always wondered...directed toward anyone. Okay its for Jagd.
by Jango
03/20/18 03:40 AM
Anyone have a hardcore Trump supporter in their family they wish they could shake to death?
by Jango
03/20/18 01:36 AM
Featured Member
Registered: 05/26/10
Posts: 3337
Top Posters
Ellehcim 6276
baraka66 5372
Flora Green 5310
Ellisande 5132
Sawo 4770
Gallery
Phoenix Pictures

Newest Members
Ebersol, Litza, Chuyangher, toyota, mgelinas
191 Registered Users